Thursday, July 2, 2009

Dago's Speed Shop-Part 3

A little bit about Rene Astengo
Rene grew up around motorcycles and hot rods. His Dad and Uncles were into motorcycles and Rene was 19 years old when he got his first 59' Panhead. He bought it off an old biker in Torrance. He started out tickering around with VW’s doing mostly all the mechanical stuff on them. From the VW’s he then evolved into working on motorcycles. Several years later he started Dago’s Speed Shop out of his garage in Whittier. This was about the time his son Diego was born and Rene named the shop after him. “Growing up around bikers they would never say “San Diego.” So the shop name evolved from my son’s nickname Dago.” Even before he started Dago’s Speed Shop Rene had some sort of project going on. “I’ve always had the side gig thing going with the cars and motorcycles. My friends and I always kind of blur the line between lowrider and custom. I do most of the suspension stuff. That’s my thing, fabricating. It is just my hobby and I love it.”


Rene and his 59 Panhead when he was 19.  Photo Courtesy: Rene Astengo

Thank you for tuning in.  I am working on another story to post soon.  Scott Di Lalla and his Triumph.

No comments: